- Stencil Art is a form of Graffiti done using plates with cut-out shapes. It functions as a kind of open-air screen print.
- It emerged in the 1970s in France (also known as pochoirs). It had its first hayday in the 1980s in Paris.
- Stencil Art demands a certain amount of preparation since the plates must be created in advance. They are usually made of cardboard, plastic or laminated paper.
- Stencils are ideal for creating multiple reproductions of a single motif. Combining stencils with colour allows for an infinite number of possibilities.
- In the streets stencils are also used to spread political views, but they can also fulfill a purpose similar to the way TAGS function – as a signature to an artist’s work.
Some artists and their work: